For the fifth consecutive year, our West Palm Beach periodontist, Dr. Daniel Lauer, sponsored the PGA National Women’s Cancer Awareness Days (WCAD) in memory of his grandmother. WCAD is a six-day, multi-event fundraiser and cancer awareness program that was held from January 11th to February 2nd, 2014 in Palm Beach County, FL to raise money to benefit cancer research at The Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, FL.
It began with a shopping event at The Gardens Mall. The rest of the schedule included:
- Monday, January 27: Women’s Card Party at Scripps Florida O’Keeffe Founders Suite
- Tuesday, January 28: WCAD Cocktail Reception and Auction at PGA National Resort & Spa
- Thursday, January 30: WCAD Golf Tournaments, Bridge Tournament, Croquet, and WCAD Awards Luncheon
- Saturday, February 1: Tennis Tournament at PGA National
- Sunday, February 2, 2014: Family Fun Day on the grounds of PGA National and 2014 WCAD Research Ride
Dr. Lauer decided to become involved with WCAD because he has seen the negative side effects chemotherapy can have on oral health, as he regularly provides periodontal treatment for cancer patients. Also, with the passing of his grandmother, Dr. Lauer hopes researchers can minimize negative side effects of chemotherapy, increase the lifespan of cancer patients, and ultimately, find a cure for cancer.
Dr. Lauer urges everyone to visit an experienced periodontist at least twice a year for comprehensive exams that include oral cancer screenings. The signs of oral cancer may not often be easily detected with the naked eye, and oral cancer can occur and progress relatively quickly. Early detection always increases a patient’s chances for survival.
If you are interested in learning more about the WCAD, cancer research, or oral cancer, or if you would like to schedule a comprehensive periodontal exam, please contact us today.